The astute redevelopment of the city centre, reverting to the old-style combination of work and living accommodation, has created a profusion of well-designed, attractive and affordable apartments to rent of buy in Birmingham. The city centre itself is compact; cultural and leisure venues are located side by side with office blocks, warehouses and retail premises. In the midst of these can be found the type of accommodation that will attract people who want to enjoy life in exciting surroundings:
A recent report by the University of Birmingham’s Centre for Urban and Regional Studies (‘Living in Birmingham’s City Centre: a Second Independent Review’, Dr Austin Barber and Bob Blackaby, January 2008), shows that satisfaction with city centre living is high. The report highlights many of the pleasures and benefits of city centre living.
• Shorter journeys to work;
• The possibility of not needing a car;
• Being close to shops, cultural and entertainment facilities;
• High investment value of property;
• Good security.
• Because of its size and its large student population, Birmingham has a vibrant city centre scene. The bustle of city life has great appeal to young professionals – ‘population growth is driven by young professional households attracted to the convenience of central living and the urban lifestyle or ‘buzz’ that can be found in…revitalised cities’ (‘Living in Birmingham’s City Centre: a Second Independent Review’, Dr Austin Barber and Bob Blackaby, January 2008) - and Birmingham has one of the youngest professional populations in the UK. Close proximity of friends, social life and work create a fashionable, chic lifestyle.
• City centre living is cool for students, where trendy new living accommodation outshines the mediocre, older properties once traditionally associated with student life.
• The convenience and culture of city centre life appeals alike to divorced and separated or ‘newly single’ people and those wanting a pied a terre or second home. Nowhere are you far from Symphony Hall, theatres, art galleries and the like.
• The convenience of short term property to rent in Birmingham’s city centre make it an attractive and popular choice as a worldwide conference destination. There is a wide selection of conference venues and it is only a short train ride to the National Exhibition Centre from Birmingham’s city centre railway station.
To find out more about apartments to rent or buy in some of Birmingham’s prime residential locations, please contact us